Sunday, December 2, 2012

Marley Twists - Reloaded!

Hey, y'all!

Unfortunately, I was unable to leave my last set of Marley Twists in for the full 2 weeks I was aiming for because my scalp was itching way too badly. I had to take them out and wash my hair with my prescription shampoo (I have dermatitis. Bleh). I deep conditioned and got ready to style them again. This time, on my own. :-o

So, I had already watched tons of videos and felt confident I could do this. I already had my packs of hair ready (this time I used Modu brand "Marley Braid" hair in 1B which is a very dark brown. I used a total of 4 packs). After I detangled my wet hair with Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-In, I blow-dried my hair in sections after applying a dime-sized amount of Grapeseed Oil (used as a heat protectant) to each section. I then separated my blow-dried hair into 4 sections (2 in the back, 2 in the front).

I used a rat-tail comb to make neater parts around the perimeter of my head, but didn't use a comb to part at the top and middle. The reason for this was that I wanted the parts to look neat when I pull my hair into a high bun, but didn't want super defined parts when wearing it down.


On to the twisting. The Marley Braid hair comes with strands that are already "locked" together, per se. So, I took 3 "locked strands" to do each twist. I followed the twisting method as shown/described on FingerComber's website (www.fingercomber.com - Note: I did not use FingerComber hair this time but I do plan to buy some for future twists. See their website for details and prices). My parts/sections to twist were approximately 1 inch by 1 inch. For each small section, I applied my Hekalu Naturals hair butter (see review/info here) and Ampro Olive Oil Styling Gel (root to tip). It took me about 2 hours and 20 min to complete, which isn't bad at all. When I do mini-twists on my own hair (i.e., without adding hair), it takes me 4-6 hours.

I am very pleased with the results. Keep in mind, I am someone who has NEVER ever been a braider - I've never done extensions or added hair myself. So this was all new to me, and if I can do it, I'm telling you - so you can you. SUPER easy. Just follow the twisting directions on FingerComber's site to a T.

Below are some pictures from yesterday and today. If you try this out, let me know!! :-) And if you have any questions also let me know and I'll try to answer them for you.

Started twisting the left side as shown here, on blow-dried hair

Twists completed. I got the "hair cuffs" at the Beauty Supply in the bead/barrette section.
Note: I curled the ends using perm rods, dipping the ends in HOT water (use a thick towel wrapped around you). Let the hair cool and be mostly dry before taking the perm rods out, and the ends will be curled. PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH USING THE HOT WATER, and do this at your own discretion.
Twists put into a high bun using a stretchy headband



Today:





10 comments:

Diva Style said...

This is a very informative post, and these look gorgeous on you!

KeetaRay said...

Thanks!

Unknown said...

I'm definitely going to try this soon! Thanks hun

KeetaRay said...

@Jeron Yay!! You're welcome! :)

Amma Mama said...

So pretty!

KeetaRay said...

Thank you! :)

Anonymous said...

how many twists did you have total? they are lovely by the way(:

Chassidy said...

I have a TWA that's about 2 inches long when stretched, is this too short to have such thick twists installed?

KeetaRay said...

That should be more than enough hair to grab, Chassidy. And the twists aren't as hard on the hair as braids, so you should be fine :)

Chassidy said...

That's great to hear, thank you!! :)