Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Good Health - Mental & Physical


Good Evening, Ladies and Gents :-)

Anyone who knows me well knows that I prefer the natural things over medicine/science. There were quite a few times in the past where I've gotten stressed out over things, and I feel like there certainly are ways that we can reduce stress in our lives. Mental & Physical Health is so important. No, most of us don't get to the extreme of needed psychiatric help or having to be hospitalized or anything, but we all stress out to the point where it may cause some of us to be irritable, angry, sad, depressed, and so on. So, here are a few tips that may help you to reduce the stress in your life -- they have helped me, especially during "that week" (ladies) *sorry fellas for the TMI*. OK here it is:

  • Eat breakfast in the a.m.!!! - When they said it is the most important meal of the day, they weren't lying! If I don't eat before I head out to work I am a grumpy little mess. And you don't wanna talk to me til after 12pm. LOL Besides that, if you eat breakfast you can focus better and you also won't overeat come lunchtime.
  • SLEEP! -- You need sleep. It's the way our intricate bodies are designed. People will try to tell you that they can function on like 3 or 4 hours, but they're hurting themselves in the long run. 7 - 9 hours is what the average person needs. And ladies, did you also know that a study was done where they found women who got 5 hours or less sleep per night on average weighed more than women who got more rest? I read that in Essence. Get ya sleep on!
  • Exercise!! - Yeah, I said it. Now I will admit I've slacked for the last 1.5 weeks. But from January of this year up until then I was doing aight! LOL I'm back on the wagon tomorrow, though, no fear! Typically, if you're at your ideal weight and in pretty good health, 3-4 times per week of 30 min activity will suffice. You'll need more per week if you're trying to lose weight. And do remember, use those weights! Strength training builds muscle which in turn speeds up your metabolism.
  • WATER!! -- Your body needs it to function!! 6-8 glasses per day is the recommended amount. More if you're exercising/physically active. Sometimes when we're tired or feeling sluggish, all our bodies are telling us is that we need water, mannn!
  • Take a daily walk -- Maybe walk around outside your place of business on your lunch break; take the stairs instead of the elevator; walk to the store or mall.
  • Set goals/have a plan -- Not just in your head, but put it into existence by writing it out, whether on a post-it or a journal, whatever. And place it somewhere that you'll see it everyday (or most days) to keep you focused on that goal.
Remember to take it easy. Life should be taken seriously enough, but not so seriously that you don't enjoy yourself or appreciate your blessings each and every day.

love. life.

KeetaRay

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so true! I've read and heard it time and time again, but I think it is time I take heed and listen:) I don't get enough sleep or eat breakfast, or exercise regularly which has been having a negative effect on my productivity at work. Great info! Keep it coming:)