Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Benefits of Oil Cleansing



I'd heard about oil cleansing for the skin some time ago, and even tried it once or twice but wasn't impressed, at the time (I think I had the wrong oil-ratio). I decided to do more research about it and try it again using this new information, and I must say, my skin has already improved significantly.

First, let's talk about what oil cleansing is and its benefits. Oil cleansing is just what it sounds like: cleansing your face with oil(s) instead of using a typical cleanser. Why would you want to do that? There are many reasons why our skin can benefit from oil-cleansing. It dissolves oil (oil dissolves oil); it naturally keeps your skin supple and moisturized; easily removes make up; much more cost-efficient than buying facial products/cleansers; it's a cleanser, make up remover, and moisturizer all in one; will help to even out your skin tone; and it's 100% natural. Even those with oily skin (ESPECIALLY those with oily skin) can benefit from this. I have oily skin and have only been consistently trying this for 1 week, but I will report back in 2-3 weeks from now with an update. However, I have already seen a difference in the amount of oil my skin produces, which has been less than the usual on a daily basis. Which means less face blotting and dusting powder on my face throughout the day.


So, here is HOW you do an oil cleanse and what to use: You can use several different types of oil, but after some research, I decided to go with a combination of 70% Castor Oil (make sure it’s cold-pressed) and 30% Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Castor Oil is great at pulling out all of the dirt/build-up, and Extra Virgin Olive Oil is very nourishing and moisturizing. It also has the same PH as human skin.

Below are some recommendations for your measurements when mixing your oils for this cleanse:
  • For those with normal skin use a 1:1ratio of Castor Oil (cold-pressed) and EVOO
  • For those with acne-prone or oily skin use a 3:1 ratio of Castor Oil (cold pressed) and EVOO. (This is what I currently use)
  • For those with drier skin start off with a 1:3 ratio of Castor Oil (cold-pressed) and EVOO
Note: It's always best to do your own research in addition to what you are reading here for the best results for YOUR skin. This information is to serve as a guide and you don't HAVE to use these particular measurements or oils.
 
I keep my oil in a small container with 3 Tbsn of Castor Oil and 1 Tbsn of EVOO – it lasts approximately 2 weeks. (You can purchase small containers here: SKS Bottle & Packaging
What to do:
  1. Let your faucet run, so the water gets pretty hot.
  2. Gently rub a quarter size amount on your face for about a minute. Make sure to massage it in and not scrub it.
  3. Run a washcloth under the faucet. (You want the water to be hot enough, but not too hot where you’ll burn yourself. You want it to be hot enough to steam your face.) Leave the washcloth over your face until it’s cooled down, about a minute.
  4. Wash your hands
  5. Gently wipe off the oil using the washcloth.
Keep in mind, your skin might be a little red from the steam but that will go away in a few minutes when your face cools down. You will notice your skin will likely look soft and supple. 

You only need to do this at night. In the morning, I rinse my face with cool water and swipe with Witch Hazel using a cotton pad. I then apply my moisturizer (Aveeno Positively Radiant SPF15) with a tiny bit of the oil mixture mixed in (which helps my skin with over-compensating oil production throughout the day). Don't forget your eye cream!!

Additional information: "Do not be afraid of applying oil to your face. Oil, alone, will not bring you blemishes. Pimples, cysts, zits, blackheads, whiteheads...these are a result of several different factors including hormones, bacteria, dead skin cells and the buildup of these factors. Your skin naturally produces oil because it needs it. It is not a malicious force to be reckoned with; it is there for the benefit of your skin, allowing your largest organ to function properly. It is naturally occurring. Not only does your natural oil help lubricate, it also heals, protects, and moisturizes your skin so that it may function properly. Properly functioning skin is beautiful, clear, and glowing. Learning to work with your skin, not against it, will save you tremendously." (--excerpt from theoilcleansingmethod.com)
Please also visit http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/ for even more information on this topic.

If you try this, definitely let me know your results. I'm loving it so far!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would have never imagine that oil can fight oil on your skin. This was highly informative. Thanks


Randomjamaican.blogspot.com

Melissa Danielle said...

This was a very interesting article. I just started becoming curious about oil cleansing for makeup removal, but I didn't know what to think of it. Learned so much from reading this. Thanks for sharing :-)

KeetaRay said...

You're very welcome, ladies!! I'm still doing this oil cleansing and my face is a lot less oily than usual with very few breakouts. I love it.