Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Flaxseed Gel and Natural Hair



I've been wanting to try flaxseed gel for quite awhile now. Almost 4 years into my natural hair journey, I finally decided to try it. I looked at several YouTube tutorials and posts on blogs, and probably the most informative for me was the YouTube tutorial from Naptural85.

What is flaxseed gel?
-Flaxseed gel is derived from Flaxseeds. There are 2 types of Flaxseed (linseed), a light golden yellow and brown. The brown flaxseeds are slightly higher in omega 3 fatty acids. (I purchased the brown ones from Wegman's, but you can get them at most supermarkets). It can be used on your hair to give a light hold and define your curls.

What are the benefits of the gel when used on your hair?
-Leaves your hair soft, shiny, and moisturized
-Promotes hair growth
-You can reuse the flax seeds
-Cost effective (more for your money)
-Nourishing for the hair rich in omega 3
-Gives great curl definition
-Gives hold with no crunch/non flaking/not drying to the hair/doesn’t cause breakage/or shedding
-Fast drying
-All natural..organic.
-Great for all hair types



How to make it:
I put 1/4 cup of flaxseeds and 2 cups of water in a pot and brought it to a boil. I placed a strainer over a large bowl and poured the thickened water/flaxseeds into it. Once the flaxseeds and the resulting gel are separated, I let the gel cool and put the flaxseeds into an airtight bag in the fridge to use for next time. I also mixed in some lemongrass essential oil to help preserve it. Note that you must store it in the fridge in an airtight container and it can be kept for up to 12-14 days.

To use:
The gel is really goopy with the consistency of egg whites. I applied it to hair that I had dampened with my spray bottle (mixture of about 80% water and vegetable glycerin 20%). I took some gel between my fingers and rubbed into my hands and applied to my hair in sections and two-strand twisted my hair. I let my hair air dry overnight and took the twists out in the morning. The result? Super-defined, soft hair with a nice sheen. I love it! I see myself doing this often.

I didn't wear my hair out today b/c I was running late (of course!) and didn't have time to play with it. I put it into a bun but I didn't use any combs/brushes, so the definition was still there. Here are some pics from today.




4 comments:

Diva Style said...

Looks shiny and healthy, Keets! I probably don't have the patience to try this yet, though, lol. :-) Good job!

KeetaRay said...

Thanks! It's definitely something to do while you're doing other stuff around your house (laundry, etc.) Lol It really didn't take long, though.

Bella Joya said...

i tried this once!!! it may be time to revisit and i have some flax seed at home.. maybe weekend DIY!!

KeetaRay said...

@Bella Joya - Let me know how you like it :)